Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Project "Table and Chairs"

We've (well, mostly my fantastic handy-dandy husband) been working on painting and sanding a few things for J-Dub's playroom as of late.  I'm super excited to show you guys the outcome!  I'm loving all the colors!

Back in November, I approached an old co-worker and friend of mine, Dennis, to see if he could build Jack a children's table for Christmas.  He happily agreed to do so and I am so glad he did!  Dennis is a super talented wood worker and let me tell you, this table is PERFECT.  The table top is made from the lumber of Ash trees that were planted in his father's backyard when Dennis was just 2 years old.  His father took great care of the trees, so when Dennis' father passed, Dennis had the trees cut into lumber and brought it with him on his move to Texas (from Michigan).  Every piece he builds with this lumber is a memory of his father.  I am SO grateful to have a piece of his family's legacy in our home, too!  Thank you Dennis!

We've had the table since Christmas and J-Dub has been enjoying it since, but we never took the time to finish it until just a couple of weeks ago.  I wish we had before and after pictures, but we don't.  Bummer.  Just imagine all UNFINISHED furniture.
The chairs we purchased through Amazon.com.  I earned a $100 Amazon gift card through MyPoints and had a $20 Amazon credit, so I was able to purchase four unfinished, FULLY ASSEMBLED (this was the best part!) chairs for about $16 TOTAL (that includes the shipping).  I'm kicking myself in the rear end because if I had purchased them the day prior, I would've gotten them for $6.  They just happened to increase their price the day I decided to make the purchase.  I guess I can't complain too much about $16 out of pocket.
Lime Green and Blue...
Red and Yellow...
Do you like?!! :)  The yellow chair is my favorite.

The little guy also got an unfinished rocking horse for Christmas from the grandparents, so we worked on him, too.  We matched the horse and table.

Now I'm ready to start on our next project!  Not sure what it is yet, but I already know Josh isn't as excited about it as I am!

2 comments:

  1. Totally love it! You guys did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dina! And thanks for your tips! You and Katie Belle need to come by and see it all! :)

    ReplyDelete